Claude is a corporate attorney who has successfully served as lead transaction counsel and also general counsel (in-house and “outside”) to private and public companies, private investment funds, registered investment advisers, start-up ventures, private equity family offices, and some of the largest well known Wall Street institutions. He is a seasoned legal adviser, practicing for over 35 years in the areas of: mergers and acquisitions (M&A); corporate finance; securities; public offerings and private placements; bank/institutional financings; SEC reporting and compliance (’33 and ‘34 Acts); hedge funds; investment and asset management; high yield and distressed debt; “going private” transactions and other corporate reorganizations. Significant transactions/work product include:
- Structuring, documenting and closing innovative $100M+ tender offer for bank loans in order to obtain control of US public company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Representing London Stock Exchange (LSE) company in their US M&A program, including financings and joint ventures.
- Representing NYSE company in registered public offering of debt instruments exchangeable for common stock of subsidiary company (constituting the subsidiary’s own IPO).
During his career Claude also served as in-house general counsel to a $3 billion (peak) investment adviser to a family of hedge funds and structured products, with leadership/support responsibility in each of the firm’s critical areas, including: investment product/fund structuring; trading and settlement; legal assessment portfolio assets/opportunities; adoption and implementation of SEC compliance policies and procedures; and employee compensation and equity participation arrangements. In this capacity, Claude:
- Led and implemented the firm’s initial Investment Advisers Act (‘40 Act) registration, and the firm’s response to regular/formal SEC examination (concluded with no cited deficiencies).
- Structured and drafted documents to implement recapitalizations and mergers of >$2B in hedge funds.
- Led negotiations of owners’ sale to UK/LSE financial institution.
Claude graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from SUNY Albany in 1981 and Juris Doctor from The George Washington University in 1984. He is admitted to the New York State Bar, and lives and works in Manhattan.